Once the domain of suburban backyards, the modern trampoline has become a…
Personal Injury Attorneys in Orlando Share Five Most Common PI Claims
Personal injury law is among the busiest of legal fields. Research from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control’s National Center for Health Statistics shows Americans make 32 million emergency room visits each year due to injuries, and upwards of 180,000 of them result in death.
The aftermath of an injury or death caused by the actions of others, whether deliberate or simply negligent, can be devastating for the victim and his or her family. While the true losses can never be fully measured, personal injury attorneys like those with Orlando's Todd E. Copeland & Associates specialize in helping victims and families recoup quantifiable costs such as medical care, lost wages and future loss of earning capacity.
The top five personal injury claim types are:
- Auto Accidents: Due in large part to the growth of cell phone usage and, as a result, distracted driving rates, auto accidents are the most common personal injury cases. More than 6 million auto accidents occur annually in the United States, causing life-altering injuries to drivers, passengers, bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Workplace Injuries: Approximately 3 million non-fatal workplace accidents reported each year in the U.S. involve lasting injuries to the neck, back and limbs - all of which can significantly reduce a victim's ability to continue making a living. And experts believe the true number of incidents is actually far higher. Today's shaky economy makes employees less likely to report injuries for fear of losing their jobs. Another 5,000 such accidents prove fatal, leaving surviving family members to deal with a devastating emotional and financial loss.
- Assault: Two million simple assault cases were reported in 2010 alone, according to the U.S. Bureau of Justice. Injuries often arise from situations involving drug or alcohol abuse, workplace violence or domestic violence. Victims often are able to recoup not only actual costs, but damages for emotional distress as well.
- Slip and Fall: The single most common reason for emergency room visits is slip and fall injuries. More than 8 million occur in the U.S. each year, and 540,000 of them result in disabling injuries. Medical and physical therapy costs, combined with lost wages mean an average $28,000 in losses.
- Products Liability: An estimated 20,000 products liability cases are filed each year, focusing on injuries caused by defective electronics, unsafe medical devices, poorly built furniture, faulty children's toys and many other items. These cases have the second highest median damages awards - an average of $300,000 per claim.
If the actions or negligence of another person cause you or your dependent bodily harm or sickness, get medical treatment immediately, then contact an experienced personal injury attorney. Orlando's Todd E. Copeland & Associates help clients throughout Florida secure fair compensation for their losses. Call 407-999-8995 to reach our Orlando office, or 407-847-7277 to reach our Kissimmee office.